Sunday, July 29, 2012

Take A Break From Writing By Writing

Writing can be very taxing on the brain. I was writing earlier this week, working on my novel, and I was feeling burned out. It wasn't the writing or the sitting in front of the computer, but what I was writing. It is important to take a break and give your mind something else to focus on. For people like myself who are trying to make a living from writing, or do already, it is hard to take a break from how you earn your living. It is a beautiful thing being a writer, the more you write the more money you can make but when you get in a rut it becomes scary. I decided I needed a break from my story, from my characters.

I was trying to think what would be a good break and realized that I would like to be writing but something else instead. I had an idea for a short story, something based on an actual crazy night of my life, and I decided to write that. I started writing and I got on a roll. The story that I thought was going to be a few thousand words has now turned into more of a novella length and will be 22-25k words when I finish tomorrow. The break from my novel has been good and I think by the time I get back to it on Wednesday or Thursday this week I will feel refreshed and ready to write. It is a slippery slope though, if you take a break to write something else, make sure you finish the new project.

Keep writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment