Saturday, July 7, 2012

Too many distractions necessitate a change of scenery


I was feeling stuck with own writing this week. I decided to try writing somewhere else. Where else would a first time novelist write the next seminal American novel than Starbucks? It felt so cliche but I couldn't think of a place that had places to sit and plug a laptop in.

My discovery was that while there are many distractions (the people, the drinks) that I am a better writer. When at home, it becomes so easy to get up and do something. The distractions you feel when trying to write can come from anything and it won't really go away unless you stop and do something about it. When writing somewhere else like Starbucks, the distractions tend to disappear on their own.

It is however not always possible to go somewhere else other than your home to write. My suggestion, and what I plan to do, is to write things at home that take a little less focus or intensity on your part and save the more difficult parts of your writing until you can remove those personal distractions. I find it much easier to get in the zone as it were when not at home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment