Sunday, July 15, 2012

I would sell out and so would you

All writers want to write the next great novel. There is a part of each of us that wants to be the next Ernest Hemingway or F. Scott Fitzgerald. What writer wouldn't want to be recognized for being a master of prose. The problem is most of us will work our whole lives trying to reach that level of rarefied air.

If I was given the choice of writing the next great American novel and making dump trucks full of money every week (see E.L. James) I would take the money. It may seem shallow. Before you judge me, ask yourself what you would do. The chance of becoming enormously wealth as a writer is extremely small, so why not leap at that chance. I would rather be rich than remembered for being a great writer who died poor. Feel free to judge me. They say money can't buy happiness...I would love to try.

This train of thought came to me as I was writing my first novel. I kept rewriting the first few chapters, trying to make them perfect. I realized that no matter how long I worked to perfect it, it would never be the book it was capable of being. My best hope is to write a simple book that appeals to a wide audience and try to strike it rich. Suddenly the words began to flow and I am on pace to finish a full length novel in one month. Not bad for a first time writer. Here's to hoping other people will want to read what I have written and I haven't gone too far into the darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment